The big music news and happenings this weekend are mostly centered around the annual Record Store Day, which goes down tomorrow, Saturday the 18th (also of note is the unrelated show at Hogfarm), at record shops around the country! Local celebrations start early, with an appearance by Ani Difranco at the Scarborough Bull Moose Records today at 1pm. Word is she’ll be playing a few songs for fans. As for tomorrow: Looking for the awesome events and deals? Here’s the rundown of some notable ones:
- Portland Bull Moose – Disturbed + This Way performances
- Scarborough Bull Moose – Killswitch Engage autographs
- South Portland Newbury Comics – Lady Lamb the Beekeeper and more
- Portsmouth Bull Moose – The Minus Scale performance + Static X autographs
- Waterville Bull Moose – Dominic & The Lucid performance
- Brunswick Bull Moose – Bearkat & The Loblolly Boy + Jerks of Grass performances
First, some exciting news on events happening in Portland this summer. Then, well, everything else!
- The Tower Of Song Festival lineup has been announced, and it’s pretty amazing all the way through. Get all the details here.
- Two big shows were just announced for the summer: Wilco and They Might Be Giants are both coming to play shows in Portland!
- The results are in – check out all the winners of the Best Of Portland 2008! And then…
- Voting is on in the Phoenix Best Music poll!
- Keep Portland awards season going – don’t forget the Indie Biz Awards.
- Squid & Whale Tattoo opened on Munjoy Hill.
- Frequent Portland-destined touring one-man-band Saint Solitude is on tour behind a new split EP and a cool video, and he’s headed our way again.
- In case you missed it, we posted photos from one of last weekend’s two Ray LaMontagne shows in Portland.
- Check out the recap from the show we did this week at Slainte!
Finally, it appears that one Graeme K is making his grand return to Portland after some time in the northwest, and he’ll be working on his follow up to Hidden Beast, enlisting the help of his friends in the local music scene to make it happen. Welcome back!