It’s no secret that we’re excited for tonight’s big show at SPACE (PHX preview here). Definitely come out for what’s sure to be a fun night. Pinatas, cupcakes, guest performers that even I don’t know about, and a 99% chance of pantslessness. Sure it’s technically a birthday party (for myself and Jess at SPACE) but everyone is invited and welcome to share in the funtimes. Here we go, ’round and ’round.
- Get yr vote on in the Phoenix Best ’09 poll. Be prepared to spend some time going through every single question (or just picking out the ones you want to vote on individually).
- Did you catch the 48 Hour Music Fest at SPACE Gallery on Saturday? The Phoenix did, and they loved it. As did just about everyone in the sold out room. Check out tons of photos from the epic night at HFIWK. At least one of the (not so) temporary bands (Prism Camp) already has their next show booked.
- The topless coffee shop in Vasselboro opened on Tuesday.
- SPACE has started to unveil “Live At SPACE” MP3s recorded at the venue through their blog, Have Faith In Worthless Knowledge. It all started with Black Mountain and Phantom Buffalo, and will continue with two fresh tracks each week.
- In case you missed it, here’s the recap from our party at Slainte last weekend! Here’s a live recording from that fun night: Poingly – “Cute” (live in Portland, ME)
- Sad news in the post-punk world: Pylon’s Randy Bewley passed away after a heart attack this week. RIP. Watch this video of Pylon performing “Cool” at the Knitting Factory NYC just over two months ago.
- Faith No More are reuniting.
- Dirty Projectors (who played in Kittery at BUOY recently) announced plans for their 5th full-length.
- Sounds like Janes Addiction’s still got it. Lots of live videos from a show at L.A.’s Echoplex.
- Word is that LA Riots shows are leaving quite an impression across the country. Portland, are you ready for this on March 6? I sure hope so. Grab tickets now!
- Merry Swankster has a great, in-depth interview with Jeff Weigand of Volcano Suns (including enough MP3s to accompany the whole read).
- Get a look inside the process of recording Dinosaur Jr.’s new album at Pitchfork.